October 2, 2020
Hosted by actor and comedian Kumail Nanjiani, the ceremony will recognize excellence in the federal government
Today, Bloomberg Media announced that the Samuel J. Heyman Service to America Medals® (Sammies) first-ever virtual gala, honoring the exceptional service of federal workers who have made significant contributions to the health, safety and prosperity of our country, is airing on Bloomberg Television on Monday, October 5th at 8:00 p.m. EDT. Many of this year’s honorees have also played a critical role in responding to the fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Comedians, actors, top business executives and federal leaders will come together for the special one-hour program featuring tributes to the six medal recipients.
Medal presenters include:
- Samantha Bee, host and executive producer, “Full Frontal with Samantha Bee”
- Kristen Bell, actress, singer and producer
- Mayim Bialik, actress, author and neuroscientist
- Adam Conover, creator and host, “Adam Ruins Everything”
- Nick Kroll, actor, comedian and producer
- Aisha Tyler, actress, comedian and director
- Darren Walker, president, Ford Foundation
Distinguished participants include:
- 2019 Spirit of Service awardee Michael Bloomberg, founder of Bloomberg LP and Bloomberg Philanthropies, and the 108th Mayor of New York City
- Former President George W. Bush
- Former President Barack Obama
- Vint Cerf, vice president and chief internet evangelist, Google
- Francis Collins, director, National Institutes of Health
- Robert Redfield, director, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Anne Schuchat, principal deputy director, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Richard Stone, executive in charge, Veterans Health Administration
- Robert Wilkie, secretary, Department of Veterans Affairs
- Max Stier, president and CEO, Partnership for Public Service
Named after the Partnership for Public Service’s late founder, who was inspired by President John F. Kennedy’s call to serve in 1963, the Samuel J. Heyman Service to America Medals recognize dedicated civil servants who have made important contributions to the health, safety and prosperity of our country. Since its inception in 2002, the program has honored more than 500 outstanding federal employees who have made a difference and improved the lives of Americans and others around the world.
About Bloomberg Media
Bloomberg Media is a leading, global, multi-platform brand that provides decision-makers with timely news, analysis and intelligence on business, finance, technology, climate change, politics and more. Powered by a newsroom of over 2,700 journalists and analysts, it reaches influential audiences worldwide across every platform including digital, social, TV, radio, print and live events. Bloomberg Media is a division of Bloomberg LP. Visit BloombergMedia.com for more information.
About the Partnership for Public Service
During the past 19 years, the nonpartisan, nonprofit Partnership for Public Service has been dedicated to making the federal government more effective. We work across administrations to help transform the way government operates, by increasing collaboration, accountability, efficiency and innovation. Visit ourpublicservice.org to learn more. Follow us on social @publicservice and subscribe today to get the latest federal news, information on upcoming Partnership programs and events, and more.