February 1, 2023
Getting Warmer with Kal Penn and The Future With Hannah Fry launch February 2023 with Emily Chang’s new show to follow
Bloomberg Quicktake brand will focus on short-form content
NEW YORK, February 1, 2023 – Today, Bloomberg Media launched Bloomberg Originals, a new brand for streaming original video programming – cinematic documentary-style deep-dives, talk shows, live events and video podcasts. Under the new tagline, “Business as you’ve never seen,” Bloomberg Originals features series at the intersection of business and culture; exploring climate change, technology, finance, sports, and more.
In 2022, Bloomberg Media reached more than 30 million viewers monthly on streaming video platforms with its original programming and news; as well as another 49 million viewers on social media (not including YouTube). Overall Bloomberg video watch time jumped by +34.3% YoY in Q4 2022, as Bloomberg Originals looks to continue serving this audience of modern business leaders with longer-form content.
“On the heels of 20% growth in video revenue in 2022, we continue to see strong audience demand for smart business programming and brand partners looking for innovative solutions. We reach 100 million modern leaders monthly across our digital platforms, and establishing the Bloomberg Originals brand clarifies our vision for delivering them original and creative programming. Bloomberg Originals is the perfect complement to Bloomberg TV’s insightful live global market coverage — a tandem designed to satisfy business leaders’ increasing appetite for programming that informs and educates.”
– M. Scott Havens, CEO, Bloomberg Media
Bloomberg Originals programming streams on the Bloomberg app on Connected TV (CTV) devices such as Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Samsung Smart TVs, and Android TV and is also available via Samsung TV Plus, LG Channels, Amazon’s news app on Fire TV, The Roku Channel, Tubi and VIZIO WatchFree+. The programming also broadcasts during select primetime and weekend time slots on Bloomberg TV and BTV+ and streams on Bloomberg.com. Bloomberg Quicktake, the streaming platform’s former name, now re-focuses on carrying short-format Bloomberg Originals and news content – including new Quickdocs cut downs as well as Quick60 and Quickhits clips – on social media platforms. The Bloomberg app on CTV devices will also improve for users with a redesigned home page that allows seamless navigation, personalized interface and more focused live TV experience across all streaming products from originals to news.
“Bloomberg Originals will explore global news issues and ideas through bold voices and creative formats. We’ll create everything from feature-length shows and series to short-form Quickdocs and companion podcasts. We want to bring the world’s best business journalism to our audience wherever they are across linear, streaming and social platforms. ”
– David Merritt , Global Head of Bloomberg Media Editorial
2023’s Bloomberg Originals slate includes:
- Getting Warmer with Kal Penn (Debuts Wednesday, Feb. 1 at 8pm ET on Bloomberg Originals and 10 pm ET on Bloomberg TV): Anchored by the actor and former White House aide, viewers will accompany Penn as he takes an up-close look at bold climate solutions and discovers new facets of the global transition to clean energy. Bloomberg Green’s award-winning team of climate journalists contribute their expertise along with London-based filmmakers Jack Harries and Alice Aedy, Co-Founders of Earthrise. The series is sponsored by GM.
- The Future with Hannah Fry (Debuts Wednesday, Feb. 22 at 8:30pm ET): One of the UK’s best-known mathematicians, Hannah Fry examines the science, technology and people on the cusp of the most transformative breakthroughs of our age. The program will bring subjects into sharper focus through interviews, explainers and field visits to explore breakthroughs across themes such artificial intelligence, crypto, climate and chemistry. Bloomberg Media is creating the series in collaboration with production company Windfall Films.
- New series with Emily Chang: Hosted by high-profile journalist Emily Chang, the series will be a fast-paced, dynamic show that lives at the intersection of tech, business, entertainment, and culture. Every week, Chang will go on location to meet the world’s most fascinating founders, influencers, and innovators, conducting intimate interviews and bringing audiences behind the scenes of the most impactful stories, launches, and trends.
- Idea Generation (New Season March 2023): Hosted by veteran content creator and strategist Noah Callahan-Bever, examines ideas – the current of the 21st century – and what separates successful creative influences from everyone else. In each episode, Callahan-Bever sits down with leading creators from the world of business, sports, music and more.
- Next In Sports (Debuts April 2023): Next In Sports is a dynamic documentary series that lives at the intersection of business, sports and culture. Hosted by Bloomberg journalists Jason Kelly and Vanessa Perdomo, Next in Sports explores new sports – and new innovations in existing leagues – by meeting the creators and athletes where they are. From the Pickleball courts of Arizona to the Formula 1 simulators in the United Kingdom and the boardrooms of Wall Street, the series will illustrate how ambition and entrepreneurship in the sports world are reshaping not just how we think about winning and losing, but economics and equality.
- AI IRL (Debuts April 2023): Bloomberg reporter Jackie Davalos and Technology Editor Nate Lanxon delve into the ways AI is infiltrating real life. From medicine, to crime, from art to warfare, AI is changing the tasks we perform and our comprehension of what machines can do. Beyond a semblance of sentience, what AI can achieve and how it will help us is hitting the mainstream. This series examines the big areas where AI is transforming what we can accomplish. Thematic and conversational, AI: IRL will bring viewers those at the forefront of this technology and the most persuasive critics.
- New political talk show out of Washington D.C.: In 2023, Bloomberg will debut a disruptive Washington D.C.-based weekly politics show designed for a fast-growing younger, global audience as an alternative to traditional weekend Capitol Hill news conversations. Featuring top journalists and highlighting Bloomberg’s data and economics analysis, the program will live across its broadcast and digital video offerings – Bloomberg Originals, Bloomberg TV and Bloomberg TV+.
About Bloomberg Media
Bloomberg Media is the world’s leading multi-platform media company for business and finance, which draws on the editorial resources of more than 2,700 editorial professionals globally in more than 120 countries. Bloomberg Media is the consumer-facing media organization of Bloomberg L.P.